Please Note:

Top post is most recent. To read in the order in which they appear in the book, begin at the bottom.
Don't forget to subscribe (add email to column on right) so you don't miss any posts.
How about leaving a short comment? Even if you just say 'Hi' it'd be nice to hear from you.

Sunday, March 23, 2014

A Better Mouse Trap

Tuesday, January 7


Arose at 4:50 AM this morning to discover that the temperature was -21°C and the house was wonderfully cozy. I went to sleep about eight but was up at twelve or so to stoke the fire which did the trick. I put on a larger log of the type which seems to burn the hottest of all – maybe maple. Part of the reason I got up so early was that I caught a mouse in the live trap and its scratching was annoying the hell out of me. I placed the trap outside and later on our walk released it at the foot of the large pine. The mouse jumped right out of the trap when I opened it and seemed none the worse for its experience. Yesterday I hauled the cement Buddha there so I took some birdseed and placed it on and around it. I had, incidentally, just about given up on the mouse trap because I've had it for well over a month with no results. Once again, patience has its rewards. I will set it up again today and find out perhaps if I have more of the little critters. I declared all out war on them yesterday when I discovered they had been in my fridge nibbling on the butter and hot dog buns.

No comments:

Post a Comment