Please Note:

Top post is most recent. To read in the order in which they appear in the book, begin at the bottom.
Don't forget to subscribe (add email to column on right) so you don't miss any posts.
How about leaving a short comment? Even if you just say 'Hi' it'd be nice to hear from you.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Alone at Last

Wednesday, August 7

This morning as Lisa and I were going into town, there was a Jersey cow on the road so I pulled into the closest lane and knocked on the door to let the suspected owners know that one of their herd was loose. There was no answer so I assumed there was no one home. A few minutes later as we sat wondering what to do, we spotted a kid of fifteen or so coming out of the house. He immediately proceeded to herd the cow back into the pasture. We surmised that he probably had orders not to answer the door but then must have noticed the cow when he looked to see who was there. On the return trip we saw a deer not far from the same spot. 

I have been rethinking my idea about building a separate bath and meditation building and think I’ll just stick with the plan to build the small addition onto the house instead – a summer kitchen. The wood cookstove I hope to purchase simply won’t fit in the existing space and by providing lots of ventilation and installing a door between the original structure and the addition, I’ll be able to use the cookstove in summer without heating up the rest of the house. The bathhouse, as welcome an addition as it would be, is a luxury, so it can wait. I must be practical here.

On Tuesday I discovered that the spring had dried up so yesterday morning I started digging and now have water again. I really must get to that spring house soon so I’ll have refrigeration. On the other hand, it’s probably a good idea to wait to see just how reliable this spring is going to be. No point in investing a lot of time and money into a spring house if I can’t count on the spring being there most of the year.

Ah, finally, the day I’ve been anticipating, my first day alone, although I expect Chuck and Josh to stop by to drop off Mike’s tent before they head for home. Slept like a baby last night. It’s another sunny, cool morning but it’s supposed to warm up to the mid twenties by afternoon. I got CBC on the small solar radio for the first time since arriving - Ontario Morning. Reception seems very poor here, and no signal for cell phones according to my visitors. To improve reception on the radio, I wrapped a piece of aluminum foil around the antennae, a temporary solution until I can figure out something more effective and permanent. 

I feel fantastic and my mood is best described as one of pure elation. A great sense of contentment has swept over me, a portent that I am going to be very happy here. The sun is shining intently high overhead, only occasionally slipping behind one of the cumulus clouds that dot the sky. It’s not overly hot, a steady gentle breeze caresses my skin and my little piece of paradise is turning out to be everything I’d hoped it would be. How could I be anything but elated in such circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment